What Is High Intensity Interval Training?
High Intensity Interval Training, often referred to as HIIT, is a method of working out that comprises short bursts of high effort followed by a short rest period. While this is generally cardiovascular, sets can also include strength and resistance elements.
What is High Intensity Interval Training? The basics
- HIIT: An overview
HIIT: An overview
While there is no specific formula for this type of interval training, it’s usually undertaken through short, highly intense periods of exercise that last anything from 30 seconds to three minutes, followed by a rest (or active recovery) period. The rest element can be shorter, the same, or a little longer than the exercise interval. This is carried out for around 3-5 loops.
The aim is to work flat out at 80% – 100% of your maximum heart rate. As you get fitter you’ll likely reduce the length of the rest periods during a HIIT workout.
Benefits of High Intensity Interval Training
- What is high intensity interval training good for?
- Fat burn, weight loss, and muscle strength
What is high intensity interval training good for?
HIIT training is great for all levels of fitness. It can be used to complement an existing training plan, which helps to increase endurance as well as cardiovascular fitness. Interval training also causes the body to burn more calories post-workout than longer, less intense sessions.
Many people associate interval training with runners—and indeed, mixing up endurance training with HIIT workouts is extremely beneficial. However, embracing this method of training into any fitness program has many advantages.
- Shortened workout times: A HIIT session typically takes around 15-30 minutes, meaning it can easily be slotted into even the busiest of schedules.
- Improves VO2 max: This is a measurement of a person’s maximum oxygen consumption and has been linked to mortality rates.
- Keeps you focused: Let’s face it, endless miles on a stationary bike or treadmill is pretty damn tedious. Thanks to mixing up different exercises (and the knowledge that no matter how hard you’re working, it’ll soon be time to stop!) many people find HIIT far easier to commit to.
- It has mental health benefits: Multiple studies have shown that the intense bursts of exercise increase levels of a protein called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). This is necessary for the repair and maintenance of brain cells, regulates mood, and helps memory and learning.
Fat Burn, weight loss, and muscle strength
HIIT can take many guises and can be undertaken anywhere.
No gym and no equipment at home? No problem…
Head to your nearest open space and mix up some sprints with walking rest periods. Add in some press-ups, squats, lunges, planks with shoulder taps… You get the picture. There are no rules as to what activity is undertaken for the intense exercise period of HIIT—all you need to commit to is that you carry it out at max effort. The rest period is best taken as active recovery (such as fast walking, marching, or jogging on the spot) so your heart rate doesn’t drop too much.
HIIT workouts torch fat burn—not only during the session but for many hours post-workout. They help lower insulin resistance for better blood sugar control, and also increase the levels of your body growth hormone, so helping with the maintenance of lean muscle.
Quite simply, adding high intensity interval training into your workouts 2-3 times per week benefits every aspect of your physical and mental health.
Contact Tribe Boca to Get the Most Out of Your HIIT Workouts
Tribe Boca is the shining star of fitness in Boca Raton. Their expertise isn’t just about providing the training location and elements to get fit, it’s about working with you to tap into your true potential.
Every person’s fitness journey is different, and at Tribe Boca, this is encouraged and embraced. Whether you’re striving for competitive excellence or are right at the beginning of your fitness efforts, their friendly, approachable approach to a new healthy you is as refreshing as it is effective.
Find out more at https://tribeboca.com and take that vital step to the fitness goals you’ve always dreamed of…